flickr.people.getInfo and gender

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm perplexed by flickr.people.getInfo.

In the documentation at the example response does not contain the attribute "gender", and nor does the returned FlickrNet api type 'person'. But the actual response (sometimes?) does. Here's an example response:

<person id="10973297@N00" nsid="10973297@N00" isadmin="0" ispro="1" iconserver="48" iconfarm="1" path_alias="ndybisz" gender="F" ignored="0" contact="1" friend="1" family="0" revcontact="0" revfriend="0" revfamily="0">
  <username>Miss Aniela</username> 
  <realname>N. A. Dybisz</realname> 
  <location>Brighton, UK</location> 
  <firstdatetaken>2004-09-01 12:52:02</firstdatetaken> 

Can I access a persons gender attribute within the FlickrNet API? How? If not where would I add code to enhance the person class?

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:30 AM

It always hard to keep up with these changes, especially when they are effectively undocumented.

I've added support for the Gender property to the Person object - although it is only returned for an authenticated call, and I couldn't get it to work for my own account (although the one you detail above works fine).

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Thanks Sam - that's perfect. In the field's comment you wrote:

No idea what purpose this field serve

Isn't it just to record the gender declared by the user when setting up their flickr account?

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:07 AM

Cut and paste error.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:11 AM

That makes sense. I've just noticed that the field "Count" (which records the number of photos a user has uploaded) is also missing from Person.cs.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM

No, it's there, its just hidden very well. Person.PhotosSummary.PhotoCount.