Best method to get original size images

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 12, 2014 at 5:25 AM
I'm looking for the best way to download original size pictures using flickrnet api, preferably asynchronously. I tried Flickr.PeopleGetPhotosAsync, Flickr.PeopleGetPhotos, and Flickr.PhotosSearch(userid), but I only get up to mediumUrl (the bigger ones are null). I have authorized the account, have set Flickr.OAuthAccessToken and OAuthAccessTokenSecret before calling these methods. I have also verified that I can access the original sized images of that user (which happens to be me) through browser.

Could someone tell me what could have gone wrong and also which of these methods is the most preferred? I only care about getting pictures of the user who authorized - and not about fetching images of any random user.

While we are at this, I would also like to know the best way to fetch a list of photo set names created by the authorized user.
Coordinator
Jan 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM
You need to ask for that extra information to be returned by Flickr, by setting the PhotoSearchExtras parameter to include UrlOriginal.

e.g.

var photos = flickr.PeopleGetPhotos(1, 100, PhotoSearchExtras.UrlOriginal);

or something like that, I'm writing this from memory on my phone :)
Marked as answer by karthikv on 1/12/2014 at 7:20 PM
Jan 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Thanks. I have verified that using AllUrls option works. But may I know the idea behind this design choice of having to request explicitly? Does it affect speed/performance if you fetch all urls by default? I am considering calling this api with AllUrls, then taking the url I need based on user need. But I would like to know if this has any significant impact on speed.

About my other question about the best way to fetch the list of sets asynchronously, is Flickr.PhotosetsGetListAsync() the right option?
Coordinator
Jan 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM
The API design decision is one made by Flickr, not myself, so you'd have to ask them, but I suspect that yes, it is much more per-formant for them to only return information requested, rather than all information all the time.

All methods have a async equivalent, so yes, to get the data asynchronously you'd call that method. Note, this is a .Net version of async, and has nothing to do with the 'async' upload of photos, which is all at Flickr's end.
Marked as answer by karthikv on 1/12/2014 at 7:20 PM
Jan 13, 2014 at 3:20 AM
Thanks for the help!