Geo Search results have not enough results

Topics: User Forum
May 9, 2011 at 3:31 AM
Edited May 9, 2011 at 3:39 AM

I am trying to build a Windows Phone Flickr app. So far FlickrNet was great, but I am having problems with GeoSearch. 

Whenever I make a  GeoSearch there is very few results. It works in cities but as soon as I search an area in the countryside, I dont get back any pictures.

the geo coordinates in my code are from Lake Wenatchee in Washington. there is tons of geo tagged pictures from this area on Flickr (try ). but for some reason the code doesnt return these pictures. I already tried to set a different Accuracy, but didnt help. 

Also i found this post with the same problem, but no answer that worked for me:

thanks for any help!

PhotoSearchOptions myOptions = new PhotoSearchOptions();

myOptions.BoundaryBox = new BoundaryBox(-120.868421037535, 47.7873376091911, -120.71158079352, 47.8926092930993);

flickr.PhotosSearchAsync(myOptions, result => {

foreach (var item in result.Result) {

May 9, 2011 at 7:09 AM

You need to specify the accuracy parameter, as the default is not very accurate.

May 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM

i tried that, but it didnt help. because I read about it in another thread, i tried various different settings for accuracy (world, level15, level2, street). but i wouldn't get more results.

another thing i noticed is that I sometimes get more results if i specify text to search for. so if you add this line to my above code:

myOptions.Text = "lake"

you will get many results, but without the text you get NO results. is this expected behaviour?

May 10, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Ah yes, I forgot that. Geo queries require a limiting factor, as per the documentation:

Geo queries require some sort of limiting agent in order to prevent the database from crying. This is basically like the check against "parameterless searches" for queries without a geo component. 
A tag, for instance, is considered a limiting agent as are user defined min_date_taken and min_date_upload parameters — If no limiting factor is passed we return only photos added in the last 12 hours (though we may extend the limit in the future).

May 10, 2011 at 7:23 AM

sweet!!! this worked great for me... thanks for the help.

i just added

myOptions.MinTakenDate = System.DateTime.Now.AddYears(-2);

and now I have many many photos :)

May 10, 2011 at 7:26 AM

here is what I am building, in case you are interested:

May 10, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Nice. Let me know if you need any beta testing as I have a dev unlocked windows phone too.