Trying to find geo-location API for getting photo co-ords

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 30, 2007 at 7:55 AM

Does anyone know of an API out there that can do something like return the GPS location of a place or address? I know Google Maps API can do stuff like this but it seemingly only works from javascript in a web page and I need to use it inside a .Net application (ie: winforms).

What I'm trying to do is find a way to geo-tag my photos before I upload them to Flickr using my own uploading/management .Net 2.0 app (which uses the FlickrNet API wrapper) so I want a way to search for either an exact place or address - or if an exact address is not found then to maybe divert to a web site so users can then choose the exact location from the map. (Although I'd still have the problem of getting the GPS location back from a web page if use this sort of arrangement.)

I know I could probably add a WebBrowser control into my app and possibly do what I want with Google maps API that way but it would pretty much be a hack and it's still not ideal so was wondering if anyone used or seen any API's to do anything like this?

Sam, have you tacked anything like this or seen anything that might do the job?

TIA for any input... hope you don't mind me posting a fairly generic Flickr question here but I know you and other FlickNet users will understand what I'm trying to do.

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:41 PM
I think they exist, but not sure where I've heard of them. Try searching for web service and geo coding perhaps?
Oct 1, 2007 at 12:31 AM
Edited Oct 1, 2007 at 12:35 AM
Thanks - I also posted on another forum I frequently use for tricky questions and got back what I think I can use... so assuming others will be looking to do the same thing as me, here are a couple of links I found useful to get started.

This site offers a free webservice or database download which will return one or more co-ords given then search string:

Table of available web services avilable via geonames:

Hope this helps someone else!

PS: Sam, any word from Yahoo when we might expect to see Collections added to the API? In the meantime have you found a useful to get the Collection info - say by web-scraping it and/or using pre-built URL's?
Oct 1, 2007 at 10:38 AM
Thanks, they might come in useful to others.

I've got no idea what kind of time-scales Yahoo are working to. Last I heard Collections was due a bit of an overhaul so you could have different types of collections (currently a collection has to be a) a collection of all sets, or b) a collection of all other collection). This was their reason no API.

However that was probably about 6 months ago, and I've seen no update to the collection functionality in Flickr, let alone an sight of a collections API.
Oct 1, 2007 at 11:06 PM

I really have to wonder wether Yahoo have any intention of doing anything about Collections - clearly it's a core part of anyone's Pro subscription and we've all seen the many forum postings on the Yahoo group asking when we'll see either the new Collections functionality and/or API support . All I've seen Yahoo say so far is that they have more important things to work on - but that might not even necessarily be on Flickr from what I've read.

It's all very frustrating... somewhat like having a Ferrari with a Mini engine in it - you can still drive it but not as well as you should be able to.