Original Video Download

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 16, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Is it possible to retrieve the original video from a Flickr account via the flickr.net API. All I can seem to be able to do is download a jpg image from the originalURL etc address. Any ideas or pointers much appreciated.

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I'm not aware of any way of getting the URL for that file from the API. Someone has probably managed to work it out though, so try searching on the Flickr API group discussions or the Flickr API mailing list.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Thanks. Tried looking through the groups, a few people have queried the same thing, but i couldn't find an answer :( . If the API doesn't expose the URL I thought about trying to append the photo/video id to the end of the url that is shown within the browser, i.e. 

http://www.flickr.com/video_download.gne?id=<photo id>

but for some reason this just results in the flickr / yahoo html code being downloaded.

Any ideas? If not I'll try and post on the flickr api forums

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM

No, no ideas I'm afraid.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:16 PM

OK Thx. I've posted on flickr. If I ever figure it out, I'll revisit here to update.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:34 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Hi Prige,

I was just wondering if you figured it out yet? 

I have not completely test this yet, but I think this is going in the right direction. 

For Each size As FlickrNet.Size In flickr.PhotosGetSizes(photoInfo.PhotoId).SizeCollection

If size.Label = "Video Original" Then
        If size.Label = "Video Player" Then

End If

You could also use flickr.PhotosGetSizes(photoInfo.PhotoId).SizeCollection.Select to find the size. This will give you the url for you to download.  If this helps let me know.

Thank you,

May 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Edited May 3, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Just to round up: Flickr API group discussion

So, the url is:

May 6, 2010 at 10:12 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.