How to call flickr.photosets.getPhotos through FlickrNet?

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 16, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Edited Mar 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Hi there,

I am looking for how to make this API call using FlickrNet:

http://www.flickr.com/services/api/explore/flickr.photosets.getPhotos

I tried skimming the FlickrNet.chm file for leads but I can't find it.

I have the UserId, the SetId at hand, how do I retrieve an object through the API that provides me access to all the photos (probably photo IDs) of a given set?

Basically, for a bigger picture, I am starting by reading a collection, identifying which sets are in it, retrieving all sets per collection and then the photos per set. I can get the collections alright, but apart from the IDs, a title and the description of the sets contained, the response object in FlickrNet is bare bone so to speak. How do I get from collections to photosets to photos?

thanks,

Tobias W.
Mar 16, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Never mind. I found it.

Flickr.PhotosetsGetPhotos

Duh.

I think my main issue in getting around using FlickrNet is that I mistake if for some sort of ORM mapper whereas everything is pretty much centered around the REST calls without adding any more abstraction than that.
Marked as answer by polarapfel on 3/15/2014 at 5:38 PM
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Hi

I'm not sure i could have made it any easier than calling to the method to call flickr.photosets.getPhotos, Flickr.PhotosetsGetPhotos? You just remove a dot and change the capitalisation. What were you expecting it to be called?

Sam
Mar 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Hi Sam,

never mind, the problem is on my end. I always implicitly expected FlickrNet to do more than just wrap the atomic REST calls and their responses into something that compares better to an ORM layer where one response object automatically encapsulates the relational objects - such as retrieving a collection with sets giving access to the photos of each set directly. Since FlickrNet is designed around the Flickr API more or less directly without trying to accomplish anything else and each method call represents a single Flickr REST call, not a series of calls to get a relational response with more than one response object - and that's no problem at all.

I think my main issue is navigating around the library. I use the FlickrNet.chm file to search for stuff and searching for 'getphotos' doesn't render any result. It would be nice to have the full Flickr API method names in the libraries documentation, so that you can just type the Flickr API method call in the search box and get to the corresponding FlickrNet part that does the trick. Right now, I use IntelliSense on the Flickr instance, typing a word part that is close to what I need and then browsing through all methods matched, guessing by the method signature which one might do the trick.

Anyway, I just need to get the hang of this.

Thanks!

Tobias W.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM
I have in the past considered adding helper methods to say the Photoset object to get its photos (at one stage the same Photoset object was used for both cases, so the "Photos" collection did exist on the photoset, even if it hadn't been populated, but thats a long story).

I can definitely add the Flickr methods into the help file, that's a good suggestion.

Sam
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM
I think one or two sentences in the description of the package (here on Codeplex for example) about the design philosophy of FlickrNet might be helpful. Something like:

FlickrNet is... [wrapping the REST calls in an atomic fashion... centric around the Flickr class etc.]

FlickrNet is not on the other hand... [an ORM layer to Flickr... etc.]

And a short pointer on how to navigate around the library in relation to the Flickr REST call naming convention.

Just based on my initial experience. The Flickr REST API names in the CHM file will be perfect.

Thanks so much. I am getting more proficient now. My background is not in C# but Java, so I'm glad I am getting up to speed now. Your library helps a lot!