Invalid strings in Russian

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I'm working on a small project (WPF desktop application) that can display photosets and tags from the Flickr account. It works OK for English names but doesn't work for Russian names. For example, instead of "Мои фото" it displays "Мои фото" (without quotes).

The steps to reproduce the issue are the following:
  1. Create a photoset or tag with name "фото" (without quotes).
  2. Request it from your Flickr account and display in a desktop application (I tried it only in a WPF desktop application).
I checked server responses with Fiddler Web Debugger and they were correct. The charset was UTF-8.

P.S. As I know there is a similar issue with some French characters with accent (e.g. é è à ô).
P.P.S. If I send a Russian name to the server (e.g. create a new tag), it displays OK on the Flickr page in the web browser.

[UPDATE]
I think you should set encoding to UTF-8 for the WebClient instance that you create in the method FlickrResponder::DownloadDataAsync(...) that is located in the file FlickrResponderAsync.cs. You have already done it for its sync counterpart from the file FlickrResponderSync.cs (see FlickrResponder::DownloadData(...)).
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Thanks for the update. You are right, there is a bug when using Async (something I have never really done much of).

Sam