Distribution under the Lesser GPL

Topics: User Forum
Jan 23, 2007 at 9:55 PM
Hello Sam,
I am trying to convince the lawyers for my employter that we are able to include the FlickrNet library with our program that is distributed on CDs with a device we sell. I don't know the position on whether we 'sell' our PC software, but it's not much use without the device, and we sell them so maybe we are also considered to be selling the software. Anyway, I've built in the ability to search and upload to Flickr using your library. I haven't changed the code I just used the compiled dll which is installed into the same folder as our PC software. Can you confirm that this is OK with you and that we don't need to be giving away the source code to our software. There is no way I'll ever convince them to do that so we'd have to remove the Flickr support altogether, which would suck.

~Craig
Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007 at 9:53 AM
The Lesser GPL is designed for examply the situation you describe - you do not need to release the source code for your application just because you have linked to the library.

You do need to distribute a copy of the license, along with directions for where to download our source code (i.e. a link back to this site).
Jan 24, 2007 at 8:02 PM
Great, I'll let everyone know that Flickr can still be in.