Authenticating a user!!

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Hi all,

I want to develop an application that uploads photo to flickr.com. I want to accept the username or email address of a user. Then authenticate the user using my API key, my shared secret and user's username/email. Finally, allow the user upload photo to his/her photo stream list. But when I call flickr using flickr.NET API kit ( Flickr(apikey,secret) ) developed by sam (great job by the way), I couldn't find any method to pass username/email of the user. I really need the user to enter username or email. I don't want them to get any API key and shared secret to use the application. What shall I do?

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
May 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

There is no way to authenticate a user by getting them to enter their username/password.

Check out the sample apps for how to authenticate the user here: http://flickrnetsamples.codeplex.com/

What type of app are you creating?

Sam

May 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your immediate reply. I am developing "photo gallery management tool" using Flickr API. It is a project for my 9 credit "multimedia networking course". What the tool should do is upload photos to flickr, modify existing photos (tag, comment, change title and so on ... ) and search for flickr photos using this app. Anyhow, I read the the flickr API documentation and knew that the user needs to have an API key and shared secret to use apps developed using flickr APIs. 

One more question sam. I want to display all the pictures i get from "photosSearch(search options)" using a list view. Then display each photo using a big picture box when a user clicks a photo with in the list. By the way, I saw the sample codes named "config4fun" and they are really cool. But I need some more details about the above question. Thumbs up for flickr.NET API kit sam. 

Thanks in advance!!

Coordinator
May 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

The user doesn't need an API key - the application needs an API key. The user authenticates and they then get an authentication token, as in the sample app I linked to.

The PhotoCollection class can be easily bound to a BindingSource.DataSource, and then that can be linked to a ListView or a DataGridView, and the current record linked to a PictureBox.

Sam

May 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Thanks sam. How can I bind the photocollection class to the bindingSource.DataSource? I'm beginner for C#.NET by the way. Also, I read from some forums that some applications needs a user to have an API key and shared secret in order to access users private data. Of course, the user doesn't require an API key and shared secret for public flickr info. That is, the user can do a photo search with out it. I saw your upload and upgrade examples in config4fun and both of them need the user to enter these two keys. If there is another way, I can't wait to know it. Thanks a lot sam!!

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

An API key and shared secret is required by an application to perform any API calls. A user doesn't need to authenticate to use the Flickr API - but that is different.

I've added a data binding WinForms example to the flickrnetsamples project, and you can look at the code for an example of how to do user authentication as well.

Sam

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:12 AM

It is very helpful sam. Many thanks!!