Server Configuration

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2008 at 2:10 PM
I am using the FlickrNet in a C# website project that I am working on right now. I added the dll pdb and xml files to the bin directory and added a refeerence for the dll. I am developing the code locally on my workstationa and the code works flawlessly.

I do not have LAN or internet access of any type to the physical server where the BETA site will be running. So I did a build and compile to a local folder. I burned the files to a cd and sneaker netted it to the box.

When I copy the application code to the web server, I can not get the FlickrNet code to run? I get no errors whatsoever in the Event Viewer on the server so I really don't know where to start. can anyone help me with the configuration for the production environment?

I should also add that the primary function for my code is to do a search by user name or keyword. code then retrieves a list of images for the user.
Thanks.
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:17 PM
If the server has no internet access then how is it meant to talk to Flickr?

Also, if you say the code will not run, how do you know? You must either get a blank screen or some kind of error message in the web browser?
Jan 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM
Let me elaborate a little bit for you.

The server has the ability to access the internet and be accessed from the internet. The server is physically in another location than my office. The server does not have FTP or Front Page extensions so I am not able to build and deploy directly from my workstation to the server. That is what I meant when I said I do not have LAN or Internet access TO the server. So I have to resort to sneakernetting the code from dev to beta.

My app process is this, I accept a text string for keywords and then use the API to search. When I run this code on my local workstation I get images back. This is the expected result. I do not get any errors back.

The code was then loaded onto the beta server. I run the same process but I do not get any images back in my result screen. The code on the local workstation was written to NOT show users harsh error messages but rather a softer no results found type message. The application is not throwing any ASP errors to the server's Event Viewer.

So I am looking for some assistance to determine if there are any special things I need to do to make thi work in the beta environment.

I was assuming that if I had a ref to dll, it was in the bin directory and the app compiled, that is all I would need to make it work. Thanks.

samjudson wrote:
If the server has no internet access then how is it meant to talk to Flickr?

Also, if you say the code will not run, how do you know? You must either get a blank screen or some kind of error message in the web browser?

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2008 at 8:24 AM
Without some kind of error to look at its very hard to try and guess what the problem might be.

Is the code on the server showing you the 'soft error message'? If you are catching exceptions that are being thrown in code then try to write those exceptions to a log file. Make sure the web server has permissions to write to this location.

If it could not find the DLL I would expect the entire page to fall over, so I'm assuming that that must be working fine.
Feb 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM
This issue was resolved. The error was dealing with the cacheLocale issue. I added the code to the web.config file and all is good.