Images not marking views...

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 18, 2006 at 10:09 AM
Hi,

After testing the FlickrNet API for some time I found that the images you view using the API are not marked as "viewed" in Flickr.

Is there any way to mark the pictures as "viewed" using the API or this is an feature of the Flickr web site only?

Thanks a lot,
Victor
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2006 at 7:58 AM
Its a feature of the web site only - you don't get a 'view' if you blogged a photo on your own site either.
Oct 19, 2006 at 11:52 AM
Ok, but let's say it could be a very interesting functionality to Flickr...

I think more interesting it would be for the users of Flickr.

Let's say I'm a photographer and make photos for bike contests events as a job.

In Flickr I can have albums (photosets) for the contests and some more personal albums of my preference (let's say I like to make nature photos)

With this Flickr integration, I would be able to have all my sets under my Flickr account and can find some bike site on the Web to show my photos and another "nature photos" site to show my nature photos.

If I'm a really good photographer and all bike and nature fans start loving my photos that their found on that specific web sites, all I will be able to see are the hits sent to Flickr directly (I mean, I can have more than 1000 photo views per day, but just 10 computed because only my friends have my Flickr Address)

I don't know if this number is some important to Flickr itself, but I think that to make users (final users - probably photographers) use the Flickr integration throught another application, this number should be incremented some way to make them happy and keep on using the service.

Well, that's just an opinion...

Thanks a lot,
Victor

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2006 at 3:34 PM
Don't forget that every image displayed on any web site apart from Flickr MUST link back to the flickr page, so the 'only my friends know my flickr address' argument falls over, as anyone clicking the image will be taken to the flickr page directly.
Oct 19, 2006 at 8:28 PM
Ok, but I'm pretty sure that most of the users that will see pictures on my web site will not click on it... just if they like the picture and want a larger size or more information...

What I meant was that you should have a way to mark the picture as "viewed" as you show the picture to the user and not if the user clicks the image. (there's a really big difference between these numbers)

Regards,
Victor