bandwidth using FlickrNet API

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 26, 2007 at 7:15 AM
hi there, i just want to know how much bandwidth will be used when retrieving pictures using the flickr api. i've read from another discussion that when uploading, it will double the bandwidth usage because the user has to upload from the website and then the website uploads file to Flickr. what about when just viewing the pictures? when a user for example click on view this picture, the website receive the request, connects to Flickr and retrieve the requested pictures, then show it to users. is it also twice the bandwidth usage of the website like the uploading of picture? sorry for my ignorance. i justlike to use this great tool, instead of using so much space of my hosting.

thank you.
Nov 26, 2007 at 10:50 AM
I'm assuming you are talking about a web application.

Firstly, 'Bandwidth' is the cost of transferring files to and from your server - not the same thing as hard drive space on your server. Bandwidth is usually quoted in GB/day (or week/month), e.g. 5GB/month. Disk space is just a flat space (e.g. 500GB).

If you have a upload form on your web site and then upload the photo to Flickr then the bandwidth used will be twice that of the size of the file. Once for the upload to your server (in a temporary directory usually, not part of your disk space) and once for the transfer from your server to Flickr. The file is not stored directly on your server.

If you are simply displaying an image in a web page, using the Flickr URL (e.g. "") then there is no bandwidth for your server, as the file is downloaded by the clients browser, not your server.
Nov 28, 2007 at 10:07 PM
thank you very much sam for that information. how about this.if i have page.aspx and that page should display all the pictures of the client from his flickr account. from page.aspx, it will make a request to flickr that the user needs to see all his pictures.once flickr acknowledges that request, it will be shown to the client's browser. isn't that request will cost a bandwidth on my server?im sorry, i really dont know how this works. thank you.
Nov 29, 2007 at 11:27 AM
Each request you send to Flickr (e.g. a request for a list of a particular users photos) will use up a small bit of bandwidth - however these requests do not include the actual image data, only the photo id and various other details, so the actual bandwidth is quite small.

As long as you're not using the Flickr.DownloadPicture method then I shouldn't worry about it.