Can a windows app bypass the login?

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 24, 2007 at 8:47 AM
First, thanks so much to you Sam for putting this API together - so far I've only experimented in VB.Net 2005 but it's looking good to allow me to develop my own app to process my photos and upload them to Flickr (and mange them whilst there). I'm also planning to have it catalogue them in SQL Server 2005 and geo-tag them (with the google maps API hopefully) etc.

Anyway, I am still a bit confused about whether it is possible for an desktop application to bypass the retrieval of the Frob? I've read in plenty of threads here where you can do it for web sites by saving the authentication token and then re-using it but I assume this is not possible from an app, right? I can understand why this would be and if I have to live with the Frob retrieval/logging in then so be it but if it's possible to log-in each time the app starts with the auth token I'd love to know how as nothing I've tried has worked.

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM
No, you can save the authentication token exactly the same as you would for web. Its not the frob you store though, but the authentication token.
Sep 24, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, as I understand, as long as you are logged into Flickr in an open browser, you can use the stored authentication key? I will give that another try later today but yesterday I couldn't get it to work... do I just call the Flickr object contructor with the API key, the shared key and the auth token?

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:55 AM
You don't need to keep the browser open!

The authentication token should remain effective indefinitely.
Sep 25, 2007 at 9:01 AM
Thanks - I got it sorted out very quickly in the end as I was trying to use an AuthToken that still had a value of Nothing - d'oh!